hotshot n : someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field [syn: ace, adept, champion, sensation, maven, mavin, virtuoso, genius, star, superstar, whiz, whizz, wizard, wiz]
- Highly skilled.
- He was a hotshot lawyer, with an astounding win-loss record.
- Displaying talent.
- Keep up those hotshot baskets, the scouts are sure to take notice.
- Someone with exceptional skills in a certain field.
- She was sure a hotshot on the keyboard, 93 words per minute!
A hotshot can refer to:
- In delivery/business, a hotshot is a replacement for a sold out product that was not restocked due to a failure to order more.
- In railroading, a hotshot is a colloquial term for a train scheduled to travel a long distance at high speed. Generally such trains are given priority over slower local trains which are stopped or moved to another track to let a hotshot train pass. See: Rail terminology.
- In non-rail transit delivery, hotshot is a colloquial term for a type of delivery that is reserved for immediate need and is very costly. Typically, a specific item or items will be ordered for hotshot and the seller will immediately place those items en route with a dedicated carrier for direct delivery. Common in medical and other time-sensitive fields.
- In wildland firefighting, a hotshot crew is a term for a 20-person hand crew specially organized to travel from fire to fire across the country as needed. Originally a colloquial term for Interagency or Interregional fire crews in the United States, "hotshot" is nowadays the official term for such crews. Hotshot is also the term for an individual member of a hotshot crew. See: Glossary of wildland fire terms.
- Hotshot is a term often used by farmers and ranchers in reference to an electric cattle prod, in order to distinguish them from a regular fiberglass prod.
- A 1978 disco hit by Karen Young
- Hot Shot (album), a 2000 album by Shaggy
- A Hotshot (Stock character) is a type of character personality.
- Hot Shot, a fictional character from the Transformers: Armada animated series.
- Hot Shots! is a comedy film which is largely a parody of Top Gun.
- Hotshot (film), a 1987 film starring Jim Youngs and Pelé
- A hotshot can refer to a spray of Mace (or pepper spray).
- A layered drink (also known as Galliano Hot Shot) with Galliano in the bottom, then hot coffee, and finally whipped cream on the top.
- A HotShot is an open-faced sandwich made with left over turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing then topped with gravy. This sandwich was invented by Justin Kellogg and Chris Moritz at the All Seasons Bistro in East Lansing, Michigan. Variations on the sandwich include the addition of butter, cranberry sauce, or anything left over after Thanksgiving
- A thermal imaging camera produced by Electrophysics in Fairfield, NJ.